Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Christmas Wish from CI President Jim Cook

It’s that special time of year…The holidays. Christmas lights, carols and personal thoughts of what it all means to each of us.

At this time of year I’m particularly happy to be part of something that helps so many in so many meaningful ways.

I also particularly enjoy talking to our generous sponsors this time of year. They are all inspiring in their own unique ways.

At the end of this tumultuous year in the world financial markets and the U.S. economy, I’m reminded how relative tough times are…by thinking of those less fortunate that we serve around the world.

This was really emphasized for me recently when I was speaking with my son who was wrapping up the semester at his university. He had been under the weather while trying to write papers and study for exams…he said he was starting to feel sorry for himself when he happened to visit the Children International website and saw some of the children there and read a couple of stories. He remembered the experiences he had when he accompanied me to Honduras and Guatemala in his early teens.

After that, he revised his computer wallpaper to have a sponsored child’s picture on it as a reminder of just how bad he didn’t have it…and to remind him that there are many much more challenged, with far greater difficulties, EVERY day!

That’s a big part of what this season is about, I think.

Merry Christmas!

Jim

Posted on behalf of Jim Cook, president of Children International. Photo by Marelvis Campo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you, Mr. Cook and to your family. I thought of my sponsored girl, Olga and that for Christmas she will receive a gift from me. My gift in return are the letters I will receive and the yearly pictures to show how she is growing. Your son has learned valuable lessons from you about caring and empathy. I wish him well at college and future endeavors.

Felicia said...

Your so awesome, man! I cant believe I missed this blog for so long. Its just great stuff all round. Your design, man...too amazing! I cant wait to read what you've got next. I love everything that your saying and want more, more, MORE! Keep this up, man! Its just too good.


children